Re: Spammer are using port 80 on my firewall to send spam

On Fri, 2005-12-23 at 01:30 -0500, Jacques Beaudoin wrote:

> Im getting hit by spammer on port 80 on my firewall thats is also running
> squid.

Are you running Squid as an outbound proxy or a reverse proxy? If
outbound you should have a filter similar to:
acl localnet src <your_subnet>/<#_of_mask_bits>
http_access allow localnet

for example:
acl localnet src 192.168.1.0/24
http_access allow localnet

If you are running it as a reverse proxy, the host defined under
"httpd_accel_host" has a vulnerable script running on it. Check the URL
spammers have been connecting to in order to figure out which one it is.
Are you running form mail? That's a common target.

> If i open port 80 to my mail server via prerouting,  spammer wiill use
> my firewall to send spam.

Then, don't do that. ;-)

Actually, unless you are running Squid as an outbound proxy with
incorrect filters (see above) they are probably using your mail server.

HTH,
Chris