Re: SNAT vs MASQUERADE ... RE: ftp conntrack - nat problem

On Wednesday 2005-November-09 09:23, Pablo Sanchez wrote:
> When you say the SNAT target is better.  Can you quantify 'better?'
> Are there any functional limitations overcome by SNAT over the
> MASQUERADE target?

Ooooh, I was afraid someone might ask that. Unfortunately I am only
parroting the party line. From "MASQUERADE" in "man iptables":
  MASQUERADE
       This target is only valid in the nat table, in the POSTROUTING
       chain.  It  should  only  be used with dynamically assigned IP
       (dialup)  connections:  if you have a static IP  address,  you
       should use the SNAT target.

Perhaps someone else can explain why. I think one benefit of SNAT is
that a SNAT'ed TCP connection can survive a router reset. That's
important to me, because sometimes I leave ssh sessions open for weeks
at a time.
    or "not-spam" is in Subject: header