From: netfilter-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:netfilter-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of /dev/rob0
Sent: Sunday, September 11, 2005 8:09 AM
To: netfilter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: NAT Helpers?

On Saturday 2005-September-10 00:05, James Stickland wrote:
My problem with this network setup is that when the terminal server

With WHAT network setup? I saw no information about a network.

attempts to join the domain, or do such things as browse all the
network shares (as opposed to typing in their ip address),
it attempts
connections to the 10.10.10.7 broadcast address.  The problem lies
within the router  - it does not forward broadcasts.

Why not? A broadcast is just another IP. This is sometimes
true but not always true. It might depend on your rules. A
clear explanation of the issue helps in finding a resolution.

I actually tried once to get DHCP to broadcast across two subnets with
no success (I allowed the ports to be forwarded, didn't block 0.0.0.0 or
255.255.255.255, etc.). Of course DHCP uses 0.0.0.0 and 255.255.255.255
so that may be a special case. But usually broadcast addresses are
defined within a subnet (like 10.0.0.255) and so I would think they
wouldn't be routed outside the subnet by design.

Just my thoughts - or maybe I misunderstood this part of the issue.

Derick Anderson

        admin & senior security consultant:  sysinfo.com
                        http://sysinfo.com
Key fingerprint = 9401 4B13 B918 164C 647A  E838 B2DF AFCC 94B0 6629

...We waste time looking for the perfect lover
instead of creating the perfect love.

                -Tom Robbins <Still Life With Woodpecker>