Re: DNS and NAT

Suzana Lojic-Skoric wrote:

iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o ppp0 -j MASQUERADE

and everything is as described.

Yes, you are right, but the problem is between my inside client and the NAT gateway I have a machine that drops everything that is not 10.x.x.x. I know, I know, it is insane... but my job is to find a solution for DNS in such network.

So basically, my inside network can only route 10.x.x.x and everything else is dropped.

As /dev/rob0 pointed out, if you don't want your clients to talk with
google directly use proxies.

I'll check out the proxy idea. Thanks for your input.

Suzana

You could use a Proxy but this would not solve your problem of 'have a machine that drops everything that is not 10.x.x.x' ... even with a proxy you would need that at least that machine would be able to access Public Big Internet.

Maybe i missed the point ... but if you can not access anything else then 10.x.x.x because something beetween clients and DefaultGW would drop it i don't see any escape other then configuring the proxy on your NAT Device because it should have not problem accessing the Public Internet.

Bye
Francesco