Re: DNS and NAT

From: primero <primero@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Suzana Lojic-Skoric <s_lojic@xxxxxxxxxxx>
CC: harmuth@xxxxxxxxx, netfilter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: DNS and NAT
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 18:00:59 +0200

Suzana Lojic-Skoric wrote:

iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o ppp0 -j MASQUERADE

and everything is as described.

Yes, you are right, but the problem is between my inside client and the NAT gateway I have a machine that drops everything that is not 10.x.x.x. I know, I know, it is insane... but my job is to find a solution for DNS in such network.

So basically, my inside network can only route 10.x.x.x and everything else is dropped.

As /dev/rob0 pointed out, if you don't want your clients to talk with
google directly use proxies.

I'll check out the proxy idea. Thanks for your input.

Suzana

You could use a Proxy but this would not solve your problem of 'have a machine that drops everything that is not 10.x.x.x' ... even with a proxy you would need that at least that machine would be able to access Public Big Internet.

Maybe i missed the point ... but if you can not access anything else then 10.x.x.x because something beetween clients and DefaultGW would drop it i don't see any escape other then configuring the proxy on your NAT Device because it should have not problem accessing the Public Internet.

Bye
Francesco

I don't think proxy can help because it is just caching the web pages, it does not change the IP addresses. I'll check if tunneling can help, if not then I'll have to change iptables to inspect DNS answer and replace the IP in the payload.

Thanks for help,
Suzana

Take advantage of powerful junk e-mail filters built on patented Microsoft® SmartScreen Technology. http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca&page=byoa/prem&xAPID=1994&DI=1034&SU=http://hotmail.com/enca&HL=Market_MSNIS_Taglines Start enjoying all the benefits of MSN® Premium right now and get the first two months FREE*.