Re: Stateless NAT

Why can't we create a new target module to support stateless NAT for
NetFilter like the following link suggests?
https://lists.netfilter.org/pipermail/netfilter/2005-February/058950.html

I tried writing a target module, but I'm a bit baffled by how the
target modules work.  The existing target modules don't seem to have
any source to modify the packets.   If this is possible then the
NETMAP module should already do the job.  Assuming the NETMAP target
module does what its description states.

We should also be able to write a stateless NAT program using libipq.
Even FreeBSD uses a user space program for NAT by using the divert
socket api.  However, I don't how to define any order in the programs
grabbing packets from the QUEUE.  In FreeBSD, instead of queueing the
packet is rerouted to an internal "divert" port which can be binded to
using the standard socket API, but divert socket are more expensive
than the NetFilter QUEUE solution.

I've found another solution to my problem without having to use NAT,
but it would have been nice if I could have used NAT since my solution
is rather contrived.

-Matin