Re: Mangling IP Options fields

On 5/16/05, Quinton Hoole <quinton@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I looked into the libipq user space queueing option, but unfortunately
> switching to user space is not feasble in my case (every single packet
> on a GBit ethernet needs to be stamped, and resource utilisation is a
> big issue).  Some further reading of the netfilter FAQ has revealed that
> patch-o-matic based extensions seem to be the way that others have
> achieved things similar to my aims.
>
> http://www.netfilter.org/documentation/HOWTO//netfilter-extensions-HOWTO-4.html
>
> Can anyone confirm that I'm heading in the right direction?

You are headed in the right direction. I will say two more things:

1. What you are trying to do is very simple and shouldn't require much
deviation from iptables targets that already exist w/r/t coding
ability. Just make sure you know the pertinent RFCs and have a fast
machine to compile on.

2. You will need 2-3 CPUs (x86) to keep up with GBit forwarding + netfilter.

--
[ Tobias DiPasquale ]
0x636f6465736c696e67657240676d61696c2e636f6d