From: Grant Taylor [mailto:gtaylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, March 24, 2005 1:10 PM
To: Trevor Paskett
Cc: netfilter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; coreteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: HELP! Transparent Proxy using bridging 2.6.9 and REDIRECT on
different subnet

There is one last really dastardly thing that I think *might* work.  That
would be running your system with a UML in side of it that does nothing but
DNATing/SNATing of traffic coming in to it so that traffic could be
redirected right back to Squid and then out and back through the DNAT/SNAT
router and then back to the box it's self where things can be handled.  But
when I start thinking of things like this I also start thinking that there
is something either missing or broken that is preventing me from doing what
I want to do, but sometimes things like this are necessary.  I presently do
not have a system set up any where to test this and I will not have time to
do so for a while.  If you would like me to continue down this road next
week I would be willing to do so.  In short the following would be the
packet's path through the network:

Client System(s) <-> Linux 2.6.9 System (DNAT/SNAT) <-> Linux 2.6.9 UML
(DNAT/SNAT) <-> Squid on Linux 2.6.9 System <-> Linux 2.6.9 UML (DNAT/SNAT)
<-> Linux 2.6.9 System (DNAT/SNAT) <-> INet Router <-> Client System(s)

Yes this is a LONG convoluted path, but this is all that I can think of with
out really messing with the packet.  I have had reasonable success running
UMLs for routing before as I have a client that routes out across 8 cable
modems on the same subnet in a pseudo round robin fashion via routing to 8
UML virtual routers and then bridging back to the interfaces that the cable
modems are connected to.  I ended up using 802.1q VLAN tagging to create the
8 virtual interfaces with wonderful success.  So things like this are
doable, just cumbersome and I've not seen any network config or firewall
package that would even come close to doing things like this.  This is all
hand rolled stuff.

Grant. . . .