Re: Firewall did not block SSH - what is wrong

try something as:

#Substitute values for yours.
#your iptables binary
IPT=iptables
#your external iface
EFACE=ppp0

$IPT -A INPUT -i $EFACE -p tcp --dport ssh --syn -j DROP

Say us if that is your need and if that works fine for you.

lst_hoe01@xxxxxxxxx writes:

Zitat von Hilmar Berger <Hilmar.Berger@xxxxxx>:

Hi,

I am running iptables 1.2.11/Linux 2.4.27-pre2. Firewall is started when ADSL
connection is going up.
The rule set I use is from some example iptables ruleset to set up
IP-masquerading. I needed this sometime ago in order to connect my laptop to
my desktop and connect to internet through its dsl modem.
I never had any trouble with my firewall before. It worked as expected - at
least that's what it seems to me.

Today someone tried to break in my machine (desktop, the one the firewall is
running on) by connection to sshd - which should have been blocked. I tried
to test if this was because my firewall rules are bad or because there is
some other bug. Unfortunately, I don't have another machine around right now
and iptables does not have the -C option that exists with ipchains to check
if the rules work as desired.

With this rule

# remote interface, any source, going to permanent PPP address is valid
#
$IPTABLES -A INPUT -i $EXTIF -s $UNIVERSE -d $EXTIP -j ACCEPT

and sshd bind to any interface you should not wonder why every one can connect
to your firewall sshd and any other service running on the firewall ...

Regards

Andreas

Samuel Díaz Garcí­a
Director Gerente