Firewall did not block SSH - what is wrong

Hi,

I am running iptables 1.2.11/Linux 2.4.27-pre2. Firewall is started when ADSL connection is going up.
The rule set I use is from some example iptables ruleset to set up IP-masquerading. I needed this sometime ago in order to connect my laptop to my desktop and connect to internet through its dsl modem.
I never had any trouble with my firewall before. It worked as expected - at least that's what it seems to me.

Today someone tried to break in my machine (desktop, the one the firewall is running on) by connection to sshd - which should have been blocked. I tried to test if this was because my firewall rules are bad or because there is some other bug. Unfortunately, I don't have another machine around right now and iptables does not have the -C option that exists with ipchains to check if the rules work as desired.

Any ideas how I can check the ruleset without another linux box ?

I attached the script I use to setup the firewall in case anybody is interested.

Thanks,
Hilmar