Firewall did not block SSH - what is wrong

Hi,

thanks for your help. Actually, I wanted to block all incoming traffic that
is not related to connections originating from my machine. Should a default
policy of dropping all packets plus allowing only related packages be
sufficient ?

e.g.

$IPTABLES -P INPUT DROP
$IPTABLES -A INPUT -i $EXTIF -s $UNIVERSE -d $EXTIP -m state --state \
 ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT

Is there any way to test iptables-based firewalls without access to a second
machine ?
I installed the rule you told me and commented out the one allowing
connections to the firewall - but how can I test that it works for me
(except testing if my email/mozilla works)?

Thanks, Hilmar

--
DSL Komplett von GMX +++ Supergünstig und stressfrei einsteigen!
AKTION "Kein Einrichtungspreis" nutzen: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl