Re: ip_conntrack limit && stateless firewalls

El vie, 11-02-2005 a las 09:55 -0500, Tobias DiPasquale escribiÃ:
> On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 09:49:40 -0500, Kevin Van Workum <vanw@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I'm having a problem with my firewall where packets are being dropped due
> > to the ip_conntrack limit. I could up the limit, but my users need 30k+
> > connections simultaneously and with the minimum overhead. And I only have
> > 1 firewall box. So I'd like to disable or by-pass ip_conntrack some how to
> > avoid dropped packets and reduce over head. How can I do this, and more
> > importantly, would it be helpful.
>
> You can use the NOTRACK target on the traffic that is causing the
> problem (which will disable using ip_conntrack on that traffic), or
> you can decompile conntrack altogether. The latter would basically
> make the firewall stateless. man iptables for more info on using
> NOTRACK.

I just wanted to note that changing from CONNTRACK enabled
rules to stateless rules implies changing all your rules
and scripts.

Maybe just limiting with NOTRACK the problematic protocols
can be enough to solve the problem. And surely more computing
power will be useful (CPU and RAM).

Regards.

--

Jose Maria Lopez Hernandez