Re: RELATED ICMP packets of type 3

On Friday 11 February 2005 18:27, Cedric Blancher wrote:
> Le vendredi 11 février 2005 à 17:57 +0300, Mikhail Zotov a écrit :
> > As far as I understand, it is safe to ACCEPT incoming
> > packets of this sort.
>
> As far as they're RELATED, you can assume theses packets to be
> legitimate ones. So, yes it is safe to accept them. It is also necessary
> to accept them if you want your IP stack to detect errors and be
> functionnal. As an example, if you drop Fragmentation Needed packets
> (type 3, code 4), you'll break PMTU Discovery...
>
> > Is it safe to allow _outgoing_ packets of this kind?
>
> For the same reason, yes, and for the sake of the Internet, do it.

Thanks a lot for your comprehensive answer!
Thus, do I understand it correctly that I should and can safely
accept _all_ RELATED ICMP messages, both incoming and outgoing?

> I'm personnaly sick of theses dummy firewalls/admin who can't get ICMP
> filtered correctly and break things, so you have to find workarounds all
> the time.

I get your point.  Unfortunately, I have failed to find a clear explanation
of proper dealing with ICMP packets.  This mailing list was my last hope. :-)

Regards,
Mikhail