Re: How multiple PCs on private LAN possible if incoming is DNAT'd to *same* server *always*?

On Thu, 2005-02-03 at 17:59, seberino@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >   iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i $EXT_IF \
> >     -j DNAT --to-destination $SINGLE_SERVER_IP
>
> > sorta.  keep in mind that rules in "-t nat" are only applied to packets
> > with state NEW--this is probably the piece you're missing.
>
> Jason
>
> I appreciate the care you've put into making strong iptables scripts
> and helping people on this list.  I understand your explanation
> but I don't see how a newbie would have known that the iptables
> rule above is to be ONLY applied to NEW state packets.

sorry if it sounded like i was reprimanding you for not knowing--i
really just meant to let you know.  i don't expect that a newbie would
know that--that why i responded to your post.

> Doesn't EVERY incoming packet go through PREROUTING?? And hence,
> the rule above will be applied to ALL incoming packets right?!?

your statement is true for -t mangle PREROUTING, -t nat is not traversed
by every packet, no.

> I don't see any place above where it says '**this only applies
> to NEW state packets**'.  You must be right but I'm just wondering
> how I would have figured that out on my own. :)

i probably read it somewhere at some point...maybe in that building
linux firewalls book by that guy...

-j

--
"The only monster here is the gambling monster that has enslaved your
 mother! I call him Gamblor, and it's time to snatch your mother from