IDS better than hardcore iptables rules?

Many people on this list including Jason O. are masters
at creating very detailed careful iptables rules that
DROP packets that have anything peculiar about them.

(e.g. FIN without ACK, etc.)

My iptables script just filters based on port
number and protocol.  I was wondering if instead
of diving into TCP education to duplicate the
fine work Jason and others have done,
if an IDS (Intrusion Detection System)
like Snort would serve the same purpose???

I assume Snort **ALSO** knows what TCP flag combos
typically signify a port scan and other nasties?

Chris

--
_______________________________________

Christian Seberino, Ph.D.