Re: IDS better than hardcore iptables rules?

El vie, 04 de 02 de 2005 a las 00:03, seberino@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx escribiÃ:
> Many people on this list including Jason O. are masters
> at creating very detailed careful iptables rules that
> DROP packets that have anything peculiar about them.
>
> (e.g. FIN without ACK, etc.)
>
> My iptables script just filters based on port
> number and protocol.  I was wondering if instead
> of diving into TCP education to duplicate the
> fine work Jason and others have done,
> if an IDS (Intrusion Detection System)
> like Snort would serve the same purpose???
>
> I assume Snort **ALSO** knows what TCP flag combos
> typically signify a port scan and other nasties?
>
> Chris
>
> --
> _______________________________________
>
> Christian Seberino, Ph.D.
> SPAWAR Systems Center San Diego
> Code 2872
> 49258 Mills Street, Room 158
> San Diego, CA 92152-5385
> U.S.A.
>
> Phone: (619) 553-9973
> Fax  : (619) 553-6521
> Email: seberino@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> _______________________________________

Your problem it's dead easy to solve. You *need*
a firewall and *also* an IDS/IPS. Don't try to
substitute one thing with the other, they are
different thing and both are useful.

Regards.

--
Jose Maria Lopez Hernandez