Re: nfs ports

> NFS uses the ports 2049/tcp 2049/udp, but you can obtain them
> from the server using rpcinfo with:
>
> rpcinfo -p localhost|grep "nfs"|grep "tcp"|tr ' ' '\n'|grep -v
> "nfs"|tail -n 2|head -n 1
>
> rpcinfo -p localhost|grep "nfs"|grep "udp"|tr ' ' '\n'|grep -v
> "nfs"|tail -n 2|head -n 1
>
> and for the services quota, lock, stat and mount we use the same method
> but changing the grep "nfs" by grep "mount", by example. Lockd only
> uses udp, quota uses tcp and udp, mount uses tcp and udp and stat uses
> also tcp and udp.
>
> For portmap we use the same method but changing nfs by portmapper. It
> uses tcp and udp. Normally it uses 111/tcp and 111/udp.

I generally don't have trouble finding the assigned ports since I have a tight
ruleset and good logging. The problem occurs whenever I reboot the server or
restart the service. Portmapper assigns new ports and all the client
connections fail. I then have to check the log for failed connections and
open new ports. At this point I have over 200 ports opened (only a couple of
which are used at any given time). Jason indicates I can force the daemons to
use certain ports so I'm going to look into that. Thanks for your help.

Jeff