Re: nfs ports

On Fri, Jan 28, 2005 at 12:50:55PM -0500, Jeffrey Laramie wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've been fighting the good fight trying to maintain nfs connections though my
> firewall but I'm not winning. Every time I think I have opened the ports I
> need nfs (portmapper?) uses a different port. My questions:
>
> 1.  Is there a netfilter patch for tracking nfs ports similar to the one for
> ftp?
>
> 2.  If not, can someone point me to a list of ports used by nfs so that I can
> open up what I need once and for all?

RPC Portmapper		TCP 111
NFSD			UDP 2049

IIRC statd, mountd, lockd, and rquotad are assigned their ports by the
the portmapper when a request comes in; however, each daemon supports a
"-p" option to nail it down to a single port--see the man page of each
for specific syntax.  lockd is actually a kernel module that's loaded
on demand, and you would need to pass the static TCP/UDP port to the
modprobe command as an option (i.e. in modprobe.conf).

check out:

http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/NFS-HOWTO.html#FIREWALLS

for more specific details.

-j

--
"This anonymous clan of slack-jawed troglodytes has cost me the
 election, and yet if I were to have them killed, I would be the one