Re: use of the limiting options

On Tue, Jan 25, 2005 at 12:54:54PM -0600, Tib wrote:

> I'd like to use the --limit and --limit-burst options to protect my sshd
> from dictionary password attacks. Considering the userbase and activity
> level I'd say that something like this would suit me just fine.
>
> --limit 6/hour
> --limit-burst 2
>
> This would limit it to two connect/login attempts at first, and then one
> more every 10 minutes.. correct?
>
> Would this be the proper command to use? I'm trying to just limit
> connections from the outside world, not from the local network, hence the
> address as a destination:
>
> iptables -A INPUT --d 66.80.174.210 --dport 22   \
>    --limit 6/hour --limit-burst 2

that's a fantastic way to DoS yourself.  so after 8 idiots try to
connect to your SSH server--you're locked out from connecting yourself
for an hour...*brilliant*.

try some real security measures instead of snake oil:

- disable password auth on your SSHD and only allow public key auth

- filter access to your SSHD by source IP, if possible

- use some sort of VPN access (IPSec/OpenVPN/etc) to get to your SSHD,
  and only allow access that way.

-j

--
"Please do not offer my god a peanut"