Re: use of the limiting options

that's a fantastic way to DoS yourself.  so after 8 idiots try to
connect to your SSH server--you're locked out from connecting yourself
for an hour...*brilliant*.

Does the limit module not track such things according to source IP then?
From the sound (snide and condescending as it is) of it, it just counts
these limit tokens against the destination itself without regard to source.

And actually - it would only be 10 minutes, based on the regeneration rate.

- disable password auth on your SSHD and only allow public key auth

This assums a level of competency that the majority of my userbase does not have. If you'd like to do desktop support for them to generate keys, upload them to the server, and authenticate against them; be my guest.

- filter access to your SSHD by source IP, if possible

'If possible' - it's not. The majority of my userbase works off dynamic ip's. Whether dialup accounts, cable modem, or home-user dsl packages. The solution isn't that easy.

- use some sort of VPN access (IPSec/OpenVPN/etc) to get to your SSHD,
 and only allow access that way.

See comment to public key auth.

If it were just me using it, this would not be an issue. But there's such a thing as 'user friendly' security (honest, I swear), and your offered solutions are not it.

How about working with me rather than trying to tell me how stupid I am for doing it a particular way?

<EOL>
Tib