RE: ever block *outgoing* packets on your firewall?

It's also key to stopping many of the code red and sql slammer type viruses.  If SQL outgoing ports would have been closed on most firewalls that would have slowed it down quickly.

Gary

-----Original Message-----
From: netfilter-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:netfilter-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jose Maria Lopez
Sent: Saturday, January 15, 2005 2:20 PM
To: netfilter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: ever block *outgoing* packets on your firewall?

El vie, 14 de 01 de 2005 a las 21:02, seberino@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx escribió:
> I'm wondering if it is ever necessary to block
> *outgoing* packets at your firewall.
>
> As long as you block /incoming/ carefully no hacker
> on the Internet can send spam through a node on
> your network or anything nasty like that right?
>
> (I'm wondering for a wifi hotspot if any nastiness
> will happen if I don't block outgoing.  I block
> virtually all incoming except ssh.)
>
> CS

You *really* need to block outgoing traffic at your firewall.
Think about spyware, malware and the like. They can be sending
your company data to their owners. And users can use firewall-piercing
and proxies to bypass your network rules if you let them do whatever
they want.

--
Jose Maria Lopez Hernandez
Director Tecnico de bgSEC