Re: ever block *outgoing* packets on your firewall?

El vie, 14 de 01 de 2005 a las 21:02, seberino@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx escribiÃ:
> I'm wondering if it is ever necessary to block
> *outgoing* packets at your firewall.
>
> As long as you block /incoming/ carefully no hacker
> on the Internet can send spam through a node on
> your network or anything nasty like that right?
>
> (I'm wondering for a wifi hotspot if any nastiness
> will happen if I don't block outgoing.  I block
> virtually all incoming except ssh.)
>
> CS

You *really* need to block outgoing traffic at your firewall.
Think about spyware, malware and the like. They can be sending
your company data to their owners. And users can use firewall-piercing
and proxies to bypass your network rules if you let them do whatever
they want.

--
Jose Maria Lopez Hernandez
Director Tecnico de bgSEC