Re: Ip packet reduction.

On Mon, January 10, 2005 11:56 am, Michael Tedesco said:
> Hello Everyone

Hello Mike!

[...]
> My goal is to reduce my log file. Also it seems that the 3
> packet is the same as the 15 or 20 or 30.  Can anyone help me out.

Yes, there's 3 ways depending on what you really want.

As of writing it, only ipt_recent allows you to count packet *but*
on a per-ip basis. Am just scared it doesn't behave normally when
you supply negation. So --hitcount 10 would start logging the 11th and
so on. You can't ! --hitcount 8(
*I am rewriting this module from scratch and called it ipt_iplist,
 keep an eye on it*

Rusty wrote ipt_limit which purpose is exactly to reduce flooded logs.

-m limit --limit 1/s -j LOG will LOG as long as you don't receive more than
1 packet per second.

NOTE: Not on a per-ip basis.

Harald rebuilt this idea adding a per-tuple concept.
See ipt_hashlimit for further details.
http://www.netfilter.org/patch-o-matic/pom-base.html#pom-base-hashlimit

> Mike

HTH,