Inserting NATing rules through C programmes...

Hi, all

Can any body tell me how to insert IP table NATing rules through C programmes with out using system () call.
I am getting some problem with system( ).

I have read somewhere that

"We are well aware that there is a fundamental lack for such an API, and we are working on improving that situation. Until then, it is recommended to either use system() or *open a pipe into stdin of iptables-restore*. The latter will give you a way better performance."

Can any body tell me from where i can get the details about the second option..

Regards
Asghar