Re: Block outbound host to specific port(s) using Masq./NAT?

On Mon, 2005-01-03 at 16:52, Jerry2A wrote:
> Hello - this is probably a dumb question....I'm using iptables for my
> home network (DSL) and I have masquerading, some port forwarding,
> etc., etc., and everything works great...EXCEPT....I have a situation
> where I occaisionally want to block outbound traffic from a certain
> host inside to a certain destination IP and/or port.  For example, I'd
> like to block one host from within my network from using Instant
> Messenger but still allow web surfing.  I've been able to dynamically
> block ALL outbound access to the internet but I'm unable to restrict
> access to certain destination ports.
>
> So this works:
> iptables -A INPUT -s 10.1.1.10 -j DROP
> iptables -A OUTPUT -d 10.1.1.10 -j DROP
> iptables -A FORWARD -d 10.1.1.10 -j DROP
>
> And I thought I could do something like this:
> iptables -A OUTPUT -s 10.1.1.10 -p tcp -m tcp --dport 5190 -j DROP
> iptables -A FORWARD -d 10.1.1.10 -p tcp -m tcp --dport 5190 -j DROP
> ....but it has no effect.
>
> I've tried different combinations of "-d and -s" and "--dport and
> --sport" just to see if I was doing something backwards....no dice.  I
> was wondering if I needed to set up some kind of pre or post routing
> because of the masquerading?
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jerry A.

first--NAT/MASQ has nothing to do with this--we're talking about
FILTER-ing here.

second--INPUT and OUTPUT have nothing to do with blocking Internet
access for a host behind a gateway--that is the domain of FORWARD.

third--whatever rule you use to block access from host 10.1.1.10 needs
to come *before* any rule that allows all traffic from network
10.1.1.0/24 or from interface $inside.

finally:

  iptables -I FORWARD -p tcp -s 10.1.1.10 --dport 5190 -j DROP

will insert a rule as the first rule in FORWARD that drops port 5190
traffic from 10.1.1.10.

keep in mind that blocking IM apps from connecting is often much more
complicated than dropping a single port, as they have a habit of
tunneling themselves through port 80.

-j

--
"I have thought this through. First, I will send Bart the money to
 fly home. Then I will murder him."