RE: INPUT or FORWARD;;

netfilter-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> A multi-homed firewall having at least two interfaces, is known, at
>> least to itself by those IP/hostnames combos assinged to its
>> interfaces.  <i.e. ppp0 and eth0>  So say rules coming from the ppp0
>> interface into the firewall <INPUT rules> are directed to it's other
>> name/interface
>>
>> -i /dev/ppp0 -d /dev/eth0
>
> well--those values make no sense whatsoever, but if you're
> asking if the following is valid:
>
>   iptables -A INPUT -i ppp0 -d $IP_OF_ETH0 -j ACCEPT
>
> then yes.  the INPUT chain is traversed by packets destined
> for a local process (IP addresses).  the input interface is
> just a tag attached to the packet.

I'm not sure I understand this :
I agree it's a valid rule (syntax), but I don't think it will ever match
a packet.

If -i and -d are specified, they both have to match to accept a packet,
right ?
Because <ip_eth0> is not assigned to ppp0, how can -i ppp0 -d <ip_eth0>
ever match for the INPUT chain ?

Gr,
Rob