Re: question about --tcp-flags

On Thu, 2004-12-02 at 18:44, Lopsch wrote:
> Yes I know but the manpages donÂt work here donÂt know why.

you may want to look into that...

> Hmm but then
> itÂs better to explicit drop packets like ... --tcp-flags SYN,FIN
> SYN,FIN before using a line like this ... --syn -m state --state NEW ...
> because this would also allow the usage of SYN,FIN for new connections.

yeah--if you want to drop flag combinations, you would normally do that
first, before accepting any connections.

> And thatÂs not a legal set. Or isnÂt it necessary to drop those packets
> because TCP will take care of that and send RST for them?

no.  the point is not to allow TCP to do its thing--that's how scanners
like nmap work, by processing a host's response to weird flag
combinations...

-j

--
"When I grow up, I'm going to Bovine University!"
	--The Simpsons