Re: question about --tcp-flags

On Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 11:08:21PM +0100, Lopsch wrote:
> I only want to know how iptables uses this option. For example
> --tpc-flags SYN,ACK,RST SYN  how is it then used? Am I right that the
> flags SYN,ACK,RST are inspected and only the SYN flag is allowed to be
> set?

yes.  "--tcp-flags SYN,ACK,RST SYN" means:

out of the flags SYN, ACK, RST:

  SYN is set
  ACK is not set
  RST is not set

the flags FIN, URG, PSH are not examined and may be either set or not
set.

> Or is it so that SYN,ACK,RST are inspected and the SYN flag must be
> set but the other are optional so that all can be set but only SYN has
> to be set? I´m a little confused :). And another question what flags
> cobos are allowed/not allowed. I only know about a few so SYN,RST set is
> an illegal set also SYN,FIN. Or SYN,ACK when initiating a connection.

i've seen this list pop up here and there:

  http://www.stearns.org/modwall/sample/tcpchk-sample

seems pretty complete to me.

the most common ones you see people creating DROP rules for are:

  ALL		ALL
  ALL		NONE
  SYN,FIN	SYN,FIN
  ALL		FIN,URG,PSH
  SYN,RST 	SYN,RST
  FIN,RST 	FIN,RST
  FIN,ACK 	FIN

-j

--
"I have been shot eight times this year, and as a result, I almost
 missed work."