Iptables - Memory Allocation Errors

System Info:

Netra T1 105
Linux sparky 2.4.27-sparc #2 Thu Oct 7 10:49:35 MDT 2004 sparc64 sun4u TI UltraSparc IIi (Sabre) GNU/Linux
440Mhz
512Meg Ram
18Gig HD
Gentoo Incarnation.
Has been extremely stable.
iptables v1.2.11

I have a previously developed firewall that goes way back in years. However, several years ago I switched to iptables from ipchains when I went to Red Hat 7.3 on an X86 box.

Having a few years of automated door slamming of cracker's, port scans etc. etc., I have a sizable list of blocked IP's I would like to continue to use. Bout 1800 or so, as a matter of fact, plus my actual rules allowing/disallowing services and such. I could supply entire firewall if needed, but I can't imagine I am the only one with this difficulty.

This whole firewall loads nicely on an X86 box running 128Meg ram and a 2.4.19 stock kernel and a X86 box I just set up using a 2.6.7 kernel on a Gentoo distro. with 256M ram.

However, on the Sparc box, it will load only 857 lines of "iptables -A INPUT -i $EXTERNAL_INTERFACE -s $BANNED -j DROP" and then I get "iptables - memory allocation error" line after line through out the rest of the load. When I do "iptables -L -n |wc -l" the 857 shows up.

I can load my basic I/O rules then start the loop for these IP's, and when it hits the total of 857, same indication...

Can anyone out there help me out? Is this a Sparc64 thingy, and if so, how may I work around it?

Much thanks in advance.

John