Re: iptables script file

Hello,

I am not to worried about speed as so much the administrative headache. You should try breaking your rules up, for example I have done the following:

rc.firewall
 - loads standard / global options (ip_forward, sets up user chains,..)
 - executes all other files.

We have a number of MAT addresses on our firewall - so each interface has it's own file and each MAT address has it's own file as well.

Also each MAT address and interface have it's own user defined chain. From my perspective this provides the best efficient for the firewall because a packet gets passed to only 1 or 2 user chains and is only compared with rules that need to be applied.

Also if some one is making changes to a MAT address and they accidently break something, when they execute the file for updates to take affect they are only affecting that user defined chain (unless they really don't following the instructions). So the odds of affecting other network traffic go down.

Michael.

Deepak Seshadri wrote:
Hello everybody,

Kenneth: Thank you very much for the reply. I'll look into this option.

Does anybody have any other suggestion? How does everyone load their
rule-set?

My original mail:
"So far I have been writing all the iptables commands in a file & ran it in
a terminal (bash filename). Then I do the "service iptables save" to save &
load the configuration during boot-up. Pretty soon the configuration file is
going to have around 800 commands & this file is modified quite often. So
for the changes to reflect in run-time I do a "bash <script-file>".
Somewhere I read that loading that many commands using "bash <script-file>"
is not recommended (Is this true?). So I started searching in Google for
other alternatives. I came across the following:

- Use rc.firewall (I don't know if its in /etc or /etc/init.d or what)
- Use /etc/firewall.conf
- Use /etc/init.d/firewall

Could someone tell me which file to use? In Fedora core 2 I found only
/etc/rc.d/init.d/iptables.
Which way would be easy to load a huge script that would be modified quite
often?

OS specs:
Fedora Core 2
Kernel 2.6.8.1