Re: Unwanted traffic to be FORWARD-ed is dropped by filter : ARP cache problem?

Jordi Warmenhoven wrote:
After having set up iptables, I notice that the Linux
box drops all lot of outside traffic (mostly MS
broadcasts) with DST=[my WinIP] SRC=[some host]. It is
_always_ the MS-Windows IP address that ends up in
the FORWARD filter chain. Since I am just a simple
client on the network, is there maybe some Proxy ARP
gateway that keeps the two IP addresses mapped against
my MAC?

Depending on your ISP configuration, you can have more than one computer connected over the same link. I know for sure this is the case with ADSL. Basically, you connect ADSL modem to Ethernet hub, and than computers on your network can share it, each of them getting public IP address from ISP, however bandwith will be split and not balanced (if you have 1M ADSL, and two PCs, each will get 512k allocated to it). I saw this works when ISP I used to work for was introducing ADSL service, and we tested all kinds of funny setups and things "smart" users might try out once we give them ADSL modems. If your ISP supports this configuration, there's usually no way for ISP to tell if you have dual boot box, or you connected ADSL modem into Ethernet hub. I'm not sure if this is possible with cable modems, it might be. Basically, cable modem on the higher levels of the protocol acts preatty much as if your ethernet card is connected directly to the Ethernet hub/swtich at the ISP end. I don't know much about internal workings of cable at ISP end, but if there's equivalent of Ethernet swith there, it will just think that you have two IP addresses on one interface. Back to the topic, they might route traffic for both addresses to you, regardless of which OS you are currently booted in. Although, I'm not sure why there are no ARP requests to check if the address is still alive and valid on that wire (there should be, I'm seeing a hole lot of those on my cable modem).

The traffic you are seeing dropped is most likely worms trying out random IP addresses in search for new systems to infect. BTW, if your box is not acting as an router, you should disable IP forwarding.

--
Aleksandar Milivojevic <amilivojevic@xxxxxx>    Pollard Banknote Limited