Re: Unwanted traffic to be FORWARD-ed is dropped by filter : ARP cache problem?

 --- Aleksandar Milivojevic <amilivojevic@xxxxxx>
wrote:
> Jordi Warmenhoven wrote:
> > After having set up iptables, I notice that the
> Linux
> > box drops all lot of outside traffic (mostly MS
> > broadcasts) with DST=[my WinIP] SRC=[some host].
> It is
> > _always_ the MS-Windows IP address that ends up in
> > the FORWARD filter chain. Since I am just a simple
> > client on the network, is there maybe some Proxy
> ARP
> > gateway that keeps the two IP addresses mapped
> against
> > my MAC?
>
> Back to the topic,
> they might route traffic for both addresses to you,
> regardless of which
> OS you are currently booted in.
>  Although, I'm not
> sure why there are no
> ARP requests to check if the address is still alive
> and valid on that
> wire (there should be, I'm seeing a hole lot of
> those on my cable modem).

Yes, seems like their ARP Proxy cache timeout is set
really long. I wonder what would happen if I do a "-j
REJECT --reset-with icmp-host-unreachable" on this
particular FORWARD traffic. Would it remove the false
entry in the ARP cache on the gateway?

> The traffic you are seeing dropped is most likely
> worms trying out
> random IP addresses in search for new systems to
> infect.

Not so sure there. It's mostly MS-Windows TCP 445
connections I drop in the FORWARD chain, similar to
the traffic I drop in the INPUT chain (which could be
worms). I think worms prefer to really enter the box
instead of trying to get rerouted in my FORWARD chain.

>  BTW, if your
> box is not acting as an router, you should disable
> IP forwarding.

Well, I masquerade a Sony Playstation behind my Linux
box, so I need forwarding from time to time :-)

-Jordi