Re: Limiting access to some number from random users.

El vie, 15 de 10 de 2004 a las 12:48, Rio Martin. escribiÃ:
> Folks,
> I need to know how to limit access to some number from bulk random users.
> Let say, i have 256 PCs connecting to Internet daily.
> I want to limit my users accessing to Internet only for 100 users during peak
> time. But these 100users must be selected in random.
>
> Need a fresh idea how to do that with iptables. Should i apply special
> patches?
> Thanks ..
>
> Regards,
> Rio Martin.

Maybe you can use conntrack and limit the SYN packets (NEW packets)
with the limit match, this will give you some control over the
number of connections that are made (not the total number but the
number of connections in a given time).

But have in mind that this will not work for sessions, just for
connections, that means that maybe someone it's using the www and
some connections will work and some not, because a huge number of
connections are made for the same page (ads, images from other
sites, etc). Maybe you can use persistent connections in the
browsers so the connections are not broken.
--
Jose Maria Lopez Hernandez
Director Tecnico de bgSEC

like fabulous yellow Roman candles.