Re: Setting TOS in POSTROUTING mangle table

--On Wednesday, October 06, 2004 11:58 AM -0400 Jason Opperisano <opie@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

if the netfilter box is also the traffic shaper--set TOS in PREROUTING
so that that tc filters have the TOS values available to make a
decision.

That's what I'd like to do, but...

<http://www.faqs.org/docs/iptables/traversingoftables.html>

Is table 3.2 wrong? PREROUTING isn't even in that table, and there's no way to affect a packet before the routing decision step and after the app has delivered the packet to the kernel.

I have no access to the source of the typical game server binary, so I can't set the TOS bits before the packets hit the kernel. (The developer of the Battlefield 1942 Linux server added this feature as an option, though.)