Setting TOS in POSTROUTING mangle table

All the HOWTO's I've seen online seem to indicate that one puts TOS manipulation in the PREROUTING mangle table, but it looks like this will only affect inbound packets. For outbound packets I'd need to put the rule in the POSTROUTING table. Should I set TOS in both tables on a gateway and POSTROUTING on an endpoint?

My main objective is to set Minimize-Delay on all UDP packets to give them priority in my traffic shaper. (I'm using Wondershaper from http://lartc.org/.) This insures that game and VOIP traffic takes precedence over web and file transfers.

BTW, where in the packet processing does queuing happen? Is that the "routing decision" or is it after POSTROUTING when the packet is sent to the interface? (This should probably be added to the diagrams.)

For reference, here's the diagram:

<http://www.faqs.org/docs/iptables/traversingoftables.html>