Re: [ANNOUNCE] Proceedings of Netfilter Developer Workshop 2004

Harald Welte writes:
 > On Mon, Sep 27, 2004 at 10:51:59AM -0600, Stephen J Smoogen wrote:
 >
 > > Is there more publishing on Rober Olsson's benchmarks and findings. We
 > > are doing various testing here and while the numbers look similar, I
 > > would like to get an established testing methodology so that we can
 > > confirm/help results from baseline tests.
 >
 > http://robur.slu.se/Linux/net-development/experiments/2004/
 > http://robur.slu.se/Linux/net-development/experiments/10G.html
 > http://robur.slu.se/Linux/net-development/experiments/

 Yeep I keep notes of some my test here. Not alwayes to well organized
 or documented I suffer from this myself.

 > > Our next line of testing is to find out which network cards will give us
 > > the best bang for the buck on 10 gig testing. We currently have 300kpps
 > > at 1 gig (E1000 + 2.4.2x kernel) but not sure if we are reaching the
 > > limitations of the E1000 fibre optics or the PCI-X bus.

 > 300kpps is bad, even for a 32bit/33MHz  PCI bus, and definitely way too
 > bad for any kind of PCI-X

 I think Harald and I booth seen ~800 kpps pure forwarding with Opteron
 and e1000 w. UP-kernel and I've seen aggregated performance of 1.3 Mpps
 from dual Opteron in a dual flow experiment.

 Yes in the long run method/benchmark would be needed but simple tests just
 as adding fw-rules is enough to meditate about improvements.

 The lookup code is getting cleaned up now to get pluggable lookups. With
 faster lookup and w/o route hash at least some filters could be very
 fast but it probably break the currents semantics. Maybe replacing all
 lookup with general classifier bitvector>/hi-pac as discussed at the
 workshop could be possible when the times comes...

 Anyway have the LC-trie todo prefix lookup up now but not interfaced to
 the kernel yet. A lot of work happens in the hash chains which makes it
 hard to replace current route lookup.

 Cheers.
						--ro