RE: going default DROP

As an isp I think there will start a problem with your customers if you try
to block anything that people that pay you can do.

I mean, if they pay, they must have the way to use what they want, related
to ports and protocols, but ill take some tips for this situation

- Thinking in the output traffic (the one you forward from your customers to
internet) the following sets could be default
	-> anything will pass (configure this with conntrack)
	-> if you want, use a cache for some traffic to save some bw
	-> maybe you can apply some limits just in case some of your users
have a virus or something in their boxes that may try a DoS. So for the
customer traffic you may apply syn flood limits, bad packets filters, and
some protections that could save big problem as responsible for your ip
block.

Now, thinking in traffic that internet sends to your users in this case ill
think the following

	-> DROP is the policy (no new connections, this is why conntrack)
	-> in case you want to watch the denied traffic you could use
		--> a LOG/ULOG rule to log and review the denied packets
		--> tethereal is a great tool, and you can use capture
filters with tcpdump format

This could show you if there's any flow you could accept for your customers.

As experience and advice, always notify your customers that you'll be
"touching" and it may affect the service, and off course, try to do it at
the time of the day where are less users. And always keep a way of rollback
until you have totally tested the final solution.

Regards