Re: Blocking Netranges Based on IP-to-Country CSV

On Sun, Sep 19, 2004 at 02:45:48PM +0300, George Alexandru Dragoi wrote:
> Good point, not to mention disliking a country sounds so nazi :D

It does, but its not.

> So, whats the reason is banning some countryes?

Why not?  Don't you effectively ban huge ranges of IP addresses, and
therefore countries, every time you restrict access to a host?  Imagine
I'm going travelling, and I know I'm only going to South America, so I
want to open up my ssh daemon to more addresses.  However I don't want
to permit the entire Internet to have a go at the daemon, but I'm
willing to open it up to South America to increase the risk slightly
in return for permitting myself SSH access wherever I am.

I must admit I'm a little worried that everyone is thinking that this
will be used to prevent access by certain countries for nefarious /
racist reasons when there are so many useful applications.

--
mors omnia vincit