tracking usage by mac address

Hello,

I have been reading this list for several months, and I've really enjoyed learning all that I have, thank you everybody for the opportunity to listen:)

Ultimately I am hoping to track the bandwidth usage of about 50 client computers through my router based on their MAC address. I understand that by simply writing a rule that does nothing to the packet, such as 'iptables -A FORWARD -m <mac address>' I can parse the netfilter log and find out what I need. This seems rather convoluted though - getting netfilter to create a basically human readable log file, and then parsing it.

All of the network traffic is passing through unmanaged switches until finally hitting the interface on the router.

I'm sure this must have been done by many others before, so could anybody give me some idea of what the most common way to handle this situation would be?

I appreciate any input.

Henry Baxter