RE: Pings phenomen :)

> Hi
>
>   I have 512/128 adsl. I wonder why, when I download files at full
>   speed, pings to site X are about 2000ms. But when I upload files at
>   full speed, pings to X are about 3000 to 5000ms. Can someone explain
>   this to me from tcp/ip point of view? ;)

it has to do with the relative sizes of input and output queues setup by your ISP on their access devices and how uploads prevent the empty ACK packets associated with your downloades from getting through, which forces the TCP window size to get scaled down to a crawl.  i can't find a decent explanation of this at the moment, but you can check out:

	http://lartc.org/wondershaper/

for a solution.  it works like a charm.

-j