Re: tracking usage by mac address

On Mon, 2004-08-30 at 04:42, Henry Baxter wrote:
> Ultimately I am hoping to track the bandwidth usage of about 50 client
> computers through my router based on their MAC address. I understand
> that by simply writing a rule that does nothing to the packet, such as
> 'iptables -A FORWARD -m <mac address>' I can parse the netfilter log and
> find out what I need. This seems rather convoluted though - getting
> netfilter to create a basically human readable log file, and then
> parsing it.

You could also use ULOG and the ulog-acctd from
http://alioth.debian.org/projects/pkg-ulog-acctd/

(if you want to use this on RedHat/Fedora, I could send you my RPM
I made from it)

This also generates a somewhat user-readable log file which you'd need
to parse, but it can aggregate several packets (thus reducing the size
of the log file) and generate a Cisco-compatible traffic log file.
Parsers for that should not be hard to find.

Greetings,
Torsten