RE: Iptables problem

> I use slackware 9.0. I have made the upgrade to the lastest iptables, and nowi want to compile the 2.4.27 kernel and enable nat of pptp. I applied the path-o-matic and actvated the option for it. After compile the kernel, almost everything is funcional, but the targets MASQUERADE and SNAT had a problem.. Show an error: Invalid argument. They are Modules and are loaded at the kernel. A frind had the same problem doing the same thing I wanted to do!
>
> Anyone knows what can i do ?
>

> Marcelo

i can tell you "what" you need to do, but i learned this morning that i can't necessarily tell you "how" to do it.

what:  you need to rebuild your userspace "iptables" utility.  the error you're seeing is what happens when you apply patches to the kernel that change the internal structures of netfilter.  in order to interact with the new kernel, you need to compile a new iptables command against that patched kernel source.

this is normally as simple as:

cd /usr/local/src/iptables-x.x.x
make KERNEL_DIR=<<where-you-built-your-kernel>>
make install KERNEL_DIR=<<where-you-built-your-kernel>>

i can only assume that your friend is Paulo Andre, and this is apparently more complicated than i realize.

-j