Re: FTP Connection problems.

On Wed, 2004-08-25 at 13:11, a.ledvinka@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> could be many reasons.
>
> either side wants to do ident lookup and timeouts or
> either side wants to do reverse and forward dns lookup somwhere around
> accepting connection before anything happens and timeouts on nonworking
> dns or
> you use some inteligent ftp client that would rever to passive ftp if
> active is not working or else.
>
> best to choose command line ftp client and test it with explicit passive
> mode on and off to see if it is realy able to open both types of
> connections.
> next check dns from both ends of connection and see how fast (and if it is
> correct - not serverfail/nxdomain/... type of response) you get answer
> from dns service for both revers and forward lookups for other side.
> then allow or reject (don't simply drop) traffic for ident service or
> modify ftp server setting
>
> btw: not directly related to your problem but you might also want to: $fw
> -A FORWARD -p icmp -m state --state RELATED -j ACCEPT (and maybe OUTPUT
> too)

To test my iptables configuration, I am doing the very basic connection
tests :

wget --passive 192.168.125.1://pub/test.iso

ftp 192.168.125.1
<this takes here already 8 seconds>
anonymous
password
cd test
get test.iso

So this could not be a dns problem. This could also not be a traffic
congestion problem because I am trying this config with three stations
(connected directly by a ethernet cable) located on my desk.

Regards
Vincent