Re: How to start external script when ipfilter rule matches

> Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 22:39:51 +0200
> From: Sören Lorenz <soeren.lorenz@xxxxxx>
>
> I'd like to start Squid when packets arrive on port 3128 on my router.

That's not netfilter/iptables job. inetd better suits to your needs.
I don't know much about Squid, but I guess it supports inetd.

> When the router disconnects from my ISP, Squid is shutdown again.

If that isn't a question, goto CONTINUE

As you seem to be using PPP connection, I'd consider using
/etc/ppp/ip-down bash script which is launched after successfull
disconnection process.

:CONTINUE
> Ideally the packets would be kept on hold until Squid is running and
> then delivered to the daemon. Another question is to shutdown squid
> after a certain time of inactivity on port 3128. Is there a way to
> achive this with ipfilter?

Again, not iptables/netfilter. Inetd can.

> Thanks in advance.
>
> Regards,
>
> Sören Lorenz

Hope this helps.