Re: Benchmark

On Tue, Jul 13, 2004 at 06:32:52PM -0300, Alejandro Flores spoke thusly:

>Hello Michael,
>
>Agreed. If well designed, it will improve performance. But, what
>is the cost to send a packet to another chain? And if you have
>something like:

I don't have those numbers.

>When the packet arrives, and it's from 192.168.0.7, it will be handled
>by INPUT, then C1 and finally C1_SSH at the second rule. What I'm
>trying to discover is, what is the cost to send the packet from one
>chain to another. It's more easy to configure and maintain your rules
>with user-chains, but how much it will cost in performance, if instead
>of the above example, I use the following rules:

That's relative right? If you properly organise your user-chains taking
into account that more frequent traffic types are at the top - then
performance wise, you shouldn't be seeing that dramatic a hit.

On an old bastion host I used to control, I had 6,000++ rules running at
one time (_no optimisation_ at all). I didn't notice a performance hit,
except adding/deleting rules took a bit of time to fully finish; but
Harald has mentioned that problem before on the list - its due to the
way the rules are stored (circular link list?) IIRC.

For good security- your rulesets should be really small (where
possible!) otherwise it becomes a nightmare to maintain.

In regards to "rule sorting" google the firewall-wizards mailing list
archives, Paul Robertson has participated in a couple of interesting
threads on the subject.

(snip)