Re: Not seeing injected packets traversing iptables

On Thursday 01 July 2004 1:03 pm, JOSE MIGUEL MARTINEZ wrote:

> I am injecting packets in a network. I can see this packets from libpcap
> from several machines so the packets are there. The machine supposed to
> receive the packets can see them too in a tcpdump. Besides it answers to
> some of them (syn/ack if I inject tcp syncs) so packets are arriving. The
> tools I use to inject packets are packit, nemesis and others home-made over
> libnet. The problem is that in spite of packets being received they does not
> seem to enter iptables as I cannot LOG or ULOG them in destination machine.
> This does not happen with convencional traffic as pings or tcp connections
> that can be logged normally.
> It seems to be a problem related to "artificially" injected traffic not
> reaching iptables. ¿Is conttrack or some part of iptables realising this
> packets are not legal enough to reach iptables?

Sounds very much like it to me, yes.

I would say it's probably just the normal TCP/IP stack in the Linux kernel,
not specifically netfilter, which is rejecting the packets.   Most likely
cause would be a checksum error, I'd guess.

Try capturing a real packet using tcpdump or ethereal (one which comes from a
normal machine and is accepted and processed normally), then try to generate
a fake version of the same packet, and look at the difference between the two
tcpdump outputs - that should show you what's not right about the artificial
packets.

Regards,

Antony.

--
In Heaven, the police are British, the chefs are Italian, the beer is Belgian,
the mechanics are German, the lovers are French, the entertainment is

In Hell, the police are German, the chefs are British, the beer is American,
the mechanics are French, the lovers are Swiss, the entertainment is Belgian,
and everything is organised by the Italians.

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.