Re: Ports stop responding some times :-(

On Thursday 01 July 2004 11:17 pm, AmirS wrote:

> Hello,
>
> After I set up the firewall (on redhat 7.2),
> everything works fine for a few hours. But after a
> while (not sure the exact amount of time), the
> computer stops responding to requests on the open
> ports (21,22,80).
>
> Any help please ? :-(

Sounds like a hardware problem to me - check the network interface - swap the
card if you can, to test a different one.

Does another machine on the same subnet lose its arp cache entry for the
machine when the ports stop responding?

> Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
> target prot opt source   destination
> ACCEPT all  --  anywhere anywhere
> ACCEPT tcp  --  anywhere anywhere tcp dpt:ftp
> ACCEPT tcp  --  anywhere anywhere tcp dpt:ssh
> ACCEPT tcp  --  anywhere anywhere tcp dpt:http
> ACCEPT all  --  anywhere anywhere state
> RELATED,ESTABLISHED
> DROP   all  --  anywhere anywhere
>
> Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
> target prot opt source   destination
>
> Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
> target prot opt source   destination

I *hope* that ruleset is only because you're trying to figure out what's
wrong, and you don't normally run the system like that?

Regards,

Antony.

--
"640 kilobytes (of RAM) should be enough for anybody."

 - Bill Gates

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.