Re: wireless security

On Thursday 10 June 2004 5:19 pm, Peter Marshall wrote:

> [...]

The reason why I recommended a NIDS (Network Intrusion Detection System) is
that you can place this as a passive sniffer on the wired network, and see if
you get any strange traffic coming from client machines.

I accept John Sullivan's point about HIDS (Host Intrusion Detection Systems),
and that's a good idea (in general) for servers, however I would suggest that
your other client machines are just as a much in need of protection, and I
doubt very much that you could find a suitable HIDS to install on those, let
alone be able to manage them and get useful data about what's going on.

One slightly wacky idea I've had for some time which you might want to think
about is writing a script to run on a machine on your wired network which
goes round each of the IP addresses (assigned by DHCP?) of your client
machines, which might also have a simultaneous wireless link, and attempt a
traceroute through them as a default gateway.   If you get more than one hop,
you've got trouble.

Regards,

Antony.

--
"I don't mind that he got rich, but I do mind that he peddles himself as the
ultimate hacker and God's own gift to technology when his track record

 - Eric S Raymond, about Bill Gates

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.