registering/unregistering hook functions

Hi,

  In my module I do not want my hook functions to start capturing packets
when it is inserted using insmod(i.e i do not want my hook registration
functions to be called in init_module(). I want to register them when
someone writes onto my char device, so then I cannot unregister my hook
functions in the cleanup_module() because I do not know if they are
registered or not in the first place.

   So my question is, is there a way to find out before calling the
   unregister functions in cleanup_module whether or not they are
   registered. Something like this in the cleanup module :
   cleanup_module()
      if (registered(nfho1)) unregister(nfho1) ;

??

thanks
Amit