Transparent firewall

Hi,

I have a problem, and I don`t know how to solve it.

What I would like to do is this:

I have a database server and I want to protect it. It has one nic connected to the local network. I want to setup a new linux box with two nics connected to the same ip network like this:

Linux RDBMS

Every traffic has to go through the Linux box, and filter out the unneded packets. I dont know how to config the linux to use the same ip network with this confoguration. Let me explain. For example the server has 10.1.0.5/255.255.255.0 address, and all the clients use this network config too. What ip addresses is allowed to use with the linux box? I mean can I use 10.1.0.4, 10.1.0.3 for the two nics at the linux box?

Any RTFM answers, with links is appreciated.

Thanks,

Janos Makadi